Monday, August 12, 2013
Day 1 - Woodstock GA to Ottawa IL
The alarm went off way too early. I wasn't asleep when it went off, but not really awake either. My head still hurt from banging it on the rearset the night before. I feel around for the knot on my head, which has gotten worse. I rub it for a few minutes, still confused and unsure of my surroundings, expecting my head to feel better but only end up making it feel worse. I should have put ice on it, but I couldn't really tell if the headache I had was from bump or from just everything else I've been dealing with. It felt as if all the problems and stress had formulated into this physical knot so I wouldn't forget they are there.
With all the recent hectic days before, it seemed strange to wake up to such a casual mood. Is it possible to wake up as a different person? What was so different about today compared to yesterday? I guess it was just the fact that at this point, this whole thing was happening whether I wanted it to or not. All I have to do is hold on.
But today was the big day, and we got off to a quick start. I was a little late leaving but was so excited to head out that I left my camelback on the garage floor. I just wanted to get away from it all I guess. I gave Tiff a quick kiss and told her I'd see her in Alaska. It felt so good to say that, too... knowing the next time I see her it will be part of such an adventure.
I look ahead in the driveway like a child would look at that first present they open on Christmas morning. That uncontrollable and undisciplined anticipation of something they already know is hiding inside but still let their imagination run wild.
I savor the moment only briefly. I feel that "click" of the shifter going into first gear. The engine rises above idle. The clutch engages. The wheels start turning. The wrapping paper tears.
Off he goes:
I forgot to hit play on my iPod before we left for that first run, so the entire first tank I sat there... just me and my thoughts. I was outnumbered. Going through those things I couldn't get to, some nervousness about the trip, things like that... all nothing healthy. But it soon faded away and we got into our groove.
I looked around at everyone as we rode by. They all seem like ants, rushing off to who knows where, to do who knows what. We are just as much a part of it too. Nobody asks where each other is going... they just assume everyone else knows what the plan is and they keep theirs to themselves. On a grand scale maybe the system works, but individually it all seems so cold and impersonal.
Nobody asks where each other is going, maybe because they already know that the answer is "nowhere". People don't ask questions when they don't care much for the answer. Maybe they fear what would be exposed.
Or maybe they just simply don't care.
We made it up to Nashville and the weather couldn't hold out any longer. It became pretty evident as we entered Nashville that it wouldn't hold off, rain was in our immediate future. All I could do was hope that it held off until at least north of the city, as navigating Nashville's interstates in traffic is hard enough without having to deal with weather.
Fortunately it held off and aside from some random drops, we pulled into a gas station just as it started to pour down on us like a Biblical flood. Before I could even get the fill nozzle off the pump station a nearby lightning strike knocked out the power briefly and reset the pump computers, and we were now stuck there. Being under the cover didn't help, the rain was blowing sideways. Everything was getting wet. I awkwardly put on the rain covers on all the new gear I got... but having never done it before, it was a test of both patience and futility.
We hung out inside with another couple riding two up on a cruiser. We chatted about our trips. They were heading back home from a road trip to Sturgis, and from a quick detour in Florida to visit friends. After some time the rain died down to a constant sprinkle and we decided to gear up and take our chances. The gentleman we had talked with said he was too old to be taking chances, and wasn't going anywhere until the rain stopped for good. But he assured us when we get north close to Paducah it should be smooth sailing... he just talked with his buddy up there who said the skies were clear.
We ended up being in the rain for the rest of the way through TN. The gear was holding up pretty well and the rain covers on all the luggage seemed to be doing their job. The only issue I had was finding a happy medium with my visor so that it vented enough air to keep it from fogging, without getting my face totally wet. It was a bit awkward at first but I would soon find a good position that worked well enough.
We cranked through the miles without much drama. In fact, the first day was mostly spent just avoiding the weather and the cops. Heading 41 North in Indiana had us going through a slew of speed traps... one after another. They were working well too, as there were quite a few people getting their yellow driving awards.
As we went through Illinois we threaded the needle once again with the weather, there were two pretty nasty storm cells between us but we managed to ride right between them without a single drop. This put us at the hotel at 7:30pm... so we ended up making great time. Enough for me to find the nearest Walmart and get another camelback!
Not bad stats for the first days ride:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment