Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Fifty On Two: Alaska





It feels so long ago when I decided to ride all fifty states before I turned 30. There was no rhyme or reason for it, no emotional story anything of the sort. It just seemed like a good goal to have. I wasn't even sure if it would be possible. I just went with it.

But despite the memory of the origin being so hazy at this point, time has fled by... almost out of control up to now. The runaway train that has been this goal isn't stopping, and sometimes it feels as though I must jump on the train in motion, or be left behind. But how did I get here... and why is this train going so fast?

Tyler once told us that the things that you own, end up owning you. However, this also applies to ideas and thoughts as well. I hadn't thought about what this whole mess would cost me, in both time and money... and maybe even some stress too... but here we are. Once I hit my forty-ninth state, Alaska was then the big target. It's been all I could think about. My own goal has taken me hostage and at times it feels like I'm just along for the ride. Am I really the one in control here? Or has Alaska been my own Tyler Durden, doing things while I sleep?

It seems lately society has morphed into some reclusive hole, living vicariously through others. These scenes they see on their TV screens, computer monitors, and cell phone screens... do they really exist? Are they grand pictures and experiences... or just 1's and 0's and little flickers of light they think represents something magnificent? They see these pictures but don't experience them, they do not live them. These poor souls get their single serving of adventure wrapped up in a pretty bow but never realize they are just sitting on their couch, wasting their life. It seems like you have so much time to do everything you want, until that point you realize you have nothing left... and experienced nothing worth remembering.

In less then a week I will depart for Alaska, to finally meet the monster that is all the ways I wish I could be. To have the courage to just run with it. To be free in all the ways that I am not.

-Blake

No comments:

Post a Comment